Re: ispell.el and pipes

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: ispell.el and pipes
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 23:19:22 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 16:23:37 +0300

>> > It _is_ possible to select it, but maybe inconvenient, and showing
>> > such "characters" could maybe confuse (if we ever get to showing so
>> > many candidates: e.g., Hunspell limits the number of suggestions to
>> > just 15, AFAICT).  So if you or someone else wants to submit patches
>> > to skip all the codepoints between 128 and 160, I'm okay with that.
>>
>> Could you please explain me how can I select those?  For instance,
>> "\200".
>
> It's just a codepoint, so you need a keyboard that can send it.  Not
> many will do that without tinkering, admittedly.

I use the US altgr-intl layout so I have access to some of those
codepoints.  For instance, ?á.  However, when I try to select that
option from the *Choices* buffer, it doesn't work.  I'm not sure what's
going on, or how to debug it.

>> I've always used aspell.  For example, triggering M-$ on "twr" yields
>> 100 suggestions.
>
> Like I said: switch to a better speller.  Hunspell suggests just 7.

I find your (valuable) suggestion orthogonal to the topic.  Ispell.el is
supposed to be agnostic, and aspell is the "official" GNU spell
program.

> Maybe we should limit the list to some reasonably small length.

I find this suggestion reasonable.  I'll play with that along with the
suggestion to skip between 128 and 160.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"