Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:00:57 +0200

> From: "Feng Shu" <tumashu@163.com>
> Cc: Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:17:07 +0800
>
> > using more than one pair of fonts, due to several important features
>
> "1 Chinese char width = 2 * ascii char width" only meanful in "table"
> style environment, for example: org md table, gnus, org-agenda ....
> In most case, it can not use many fonts.

This will also be a problem in any descendant of tabulated-list-mode,
and those do use different faces.  Even "C-x C-b" already uses regular
and bold styles, and bold will definitely have characters that are
wider than regular with some fonts.

> > using non-default faces?  And even with the default face, what happens
> > if the user does "C-x C-+"?
>
> This is the most case, as for "C-x C-+", we just do not use it, or
> rewrite to a new function.
>
> As Chinese emacser users, we just expect align proper *in most case* :-)

I'd like to come up with a solution that doesn't look like a hack,
please.  Something we could be proud of.