Re: Intermitten build problems on Macos

From: Philipp
Subject: Re: Intermitten build problems on Macos
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:15:23 +0100

> Am 10.11.2021 um 00:39 schrieb Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:
>
> Philipp <p.stephani2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, this happens to me all the time.  Deleting bootstrap-emacs also
>> fixes it temporarily.  The problem is generally that bootstrap-emacs
>> is occasionally not properly codesigned.  See e.g. this crash report:
>
> Hm...   So is the problem that this bit doesn't always run?  Or...  is
> run at the wrong time?
>
> temacs$(EXEEXT): $(LIBXMENU) $(ALLOBJS) $(LIBEGNU_ARCHIVE) $(EMACSRES) \
> [...]
> ifeq ($(DO_CODESIGN),yes)
>       codesign -s - -f $@.tmp
> endif
>
> Unfortunately, the Macos build doesn't fail for me now, so I can't test.
> I'll try to poke at this more the next time it fails.

I don't quite understand where the problem lies exactly.  The Makefile rule
doesn't look wrong per se, but it does appear to result in binaries that are
occasionally not codesigned.

Maybe it's worth investigating a more robust approach: Instead of having
make-fingerprint modify the binary directly, have it write out the fingerprint
into a generated C source file, then compile that and link it against the rest
of the object files using the system linker.  That approach should be more
portable, as it only relies on the system linker to produce correct binaries.