Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master e714b31 3/6: Merge from origin/emacs-28
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:09:44 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Look closer, please.

It is up to you to produce evidence for your claims, or they will remain
unsubstantiated.

You claimed in the past that we can solve this and make everyone happy:

    https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20403#33

Nothing has changed since then, besides your newly discovered opposition
to these changes.

>> The existence of the special code for this in gitmerge is already proof
>> that this is suboptimal.  If it is buggy, that makes it worse of course.
>
> Nonsense.  It just means we haven't yet got the full solution for
> that.

The better choice is to just not to create problems for ourselves in the
first place.

>> But even if there are no bugs in gitmerge.el, today or in the future, we
>> still lose the ability to use "git blame" in etc/NEWS.NN for the
>> previous release on master.
>
> "git annotate" on NEWS is pretty meaningless anyway.  Stuff gets moved
> there too much for that to be useful.

Some posters on this mailing list *do* use it (me included):

    "I use VC archeology on NEWS all the time.  It is handy when I need to
    know who and when added some new feature."

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-09/msg00534.html

>> And what's the upside?  None, AFAICT.
>
> You are biased, so you only see the side that suits you.

That is just a run-of-the-mill ad-hominem.  If you disagree, feel free
to present substantial arguments instead.  I see no serious arguments so
far, yet you claim to be the one that is "unbiased".

> The upside is that we are using this for a long time, and any problems
> we see now are minor.

We have also had issues with it for a long time.  I have already
provided the evidence to back that claim up, but here's some more:

    "At present, emacs26:etc/NEWS has to get merged to master:etc/NEWS.26.
    This is a PITA at every single merge.

    "If the file was already called NEWS.26 on both branches,
    all these merge problems would go away."

    https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20403#30