Re: `M-x yank-media'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `M-x yank-media'
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 15:57:11 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  alan@idiocy.org
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:48:56 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > But those are just the types.  How do we fetch the stuff afterwards?
>
> With
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'image/png)
>
> and then some slight massaging; see yank-media--get-selection.

I cannot figure out from that code what kind of "data" is expected
from the above call.  For example, if the data in the clipboard is an
image?

> >   (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'TARGETS)
> >    =>
> >    [DataObject text/html HTML\ Format text/_moz_htmlinfo
> > text/_moz_htmlcontext application/x-moz-file-promise-url
> > application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename FILE_NAMES Preferred\
> > DropEffect application/x-moz-nativeimage DIB Ole\ Private\ Data BITMAP nil]
> >
> > (This is after "Copy Image" in Firefox.)  But I suspect that's not all
> > of the story.
>
> So that's why `yank-media' saying it can't find any matches, because
> it's looking for "image/.*" (in Message buffers).

Then that's non-portable, because this stuff is not standardized
enough, AFAIK.  We need more layers to hide platforms-specifics, I
think.

> It sounds like application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename (or one of
> the other ones) might hold the file name where the image is?  Does
>
> (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'application/x-moz-file-promise-dest-filename)
>
> return anything?

I don't expect it to, because I don't see any implementation for
anything but text.