Re: New key binding syntax

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: New key binding syntax
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 10:37:59 +0100

>>>>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 22:36:10 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> said:

    rms> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
    rms> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
    rms> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    >> > A `kbd' sequence is a string consisting of one and more key
    >> > strokes.  The key strokes are separated by a space character.

    >> Is "a space character" normative?

    rms> I'm surprised by this terminology -- could you explain what that
    rms> question means, using different words?

"normative" in the sense of "imposing a norm or standard". Itʼs a
common expression in standards documents, to separate things that must
be obeyed from things that are mere comments.

In this case, John is asking: "Does this mean that there must be one
and only one space character separating the key strokes?"

Robert