Re: Emacs Lisp code formatting

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp code formatting
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 09:39:57 +0100

On Thu, Nov 04 2021, Campbell Barton wrote:

> I get the impression most elisp developers prefer to manually format
> their code and use auto-indentation.

If there isn't a decent tool to do it automatically, that would be no
surprise.

Maybe C-M-q (indent-pp-sexp) should do bit more than just indent every
line.  I certainly would like it to break long lines automatically.

Or maybe code formatting could be integrated in elint.

The other obvious candidate is the byte-compiler.  But the compiler seems
to be so complicated already, that nobody wants to touch it.

> Auto formatters are becoming more popular in other languages though,
> clang-format (C/C++), black (for Python)... once you're used to
> running them automatically on save, it feels like a step backwards not
> to have this feature available.

On that topic: I find it rather unsatisfactory that GNU indent doesn't
seem to be used much.  Not even by the Emacs developers.

Helmut