Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 21:06:46 +0100

> How does a server know the names of files on your computer?

Hey Richard.

An LSP-server is actually software running on your own machine, but in a different process. And it’s very often free software too!

Thus a client-server architecture with corresponding terms.

For someone not intimately into LSP as a protocol, I can see how that can be confusing.

--
Vennlig hilsen
Jostein Kjønigsen

jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021, at 04:18, Richard Stallman wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > To me it would mean to have something written in the page’s source that
  > would trigger emacs to be launched, and possibly its window to be
  > displayed as part of the page (that is: without decoration or ability to
  > be moved, and it would scroll with the page’s content and wouldn’t be
  > displayed if the browser’s window’s not).

It sounds like this would turn Emacs into a sort of widget for use by
websites.  That's not what we want Emacs to be.

  > What I would imagine would be for instance <embed src="" /> or
  > possibly with attributes specifying that we want to open it with emacs or
  > at line n (I’m sure standards exist for those, there is certainly some
  > anchor syntax for within github to point at a line, something like
  > file.c#l123).

How does a server know the names of files on your computer?
Why does it want you to edit some specific file?

  > open at line, open with a certain mode enabled, open several files at once,
  > open an svg file either as an image or as source, etc.

  > the main one being “open at line”

I can understand what it means to specify to go to a certain position
in a file while visiting it in Emacs, but why would a web site
do such a thing?

The scenarios that I can envision are unethical ones, where your computing
is done by a web site run by someone else, and thus not under your control.
I can't think of an ethical scenario that would use this.

Can you describe one?