Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 19:22:56 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:32:30 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> Cc: kbrown@cornell.edu, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:56:20 +0300
>> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> > Cc: kbrown@cornell.edu, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> > Thanks.

>> > I'm curious why 2 methods of native compilation that are supposed to
>> > produce identical results, in reality produce slightly different
>> > results: one produces these trampoline files, the other doesn't.  It
>> > could be that there's some hidden issue here, perhaps even related to
>> > those errors at startup described above.
>>
>> Andrea, any progress in investigating this strange problem?  It is
>> currently the only hard blocking issue that prevents us from making a
>> pretest tarball.

Hi Eli,

I must apologize, I've also completely missed your previous mail.

I'm behind schedule as I'm in a late with some GCC work where I'm trying
to meet the stage1 deadline.  As a result haven't progressed much on
this investigation.

> I now have the same problem in the "normal" build with native-comp of
> the release branch, the one that builds from Git clone and uses
> ELC+ELN to compile all the preloaded files (as opposed to building a
> release tarball).  The problem shows at startup:
>
>   $ emacs -Q -nw
>
> This shows errors in the *Compile Log* buffer(??)
>
>   lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.elc: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void:
> gv-setter
>   lisp/term/xterm.elc: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void: t
>
> If I delete seq.elc, the problem goes away.
>
> How do I investigate this?

I guess a start is to run in gdb to see where the function definition of
gv-setter was last time changed (if ever).

I guess `gv-setter' was compiled and dumped, therefore its definition
it's expected to be revived by 'load_comp_unit' called from
pdumper.c:5355 while Emacs is starting-up.

  Andrea