Re: ELPA: New package: svg-lib

From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
Subject: Re: ELPA: New package: svg-lib
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 22:43:01 +0200

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

FWIW, I believe that librsvg defaults to 96dpi, however I'm not sure that it always did, I've a feeling it used to use something different, so different versions of librsvg may use different default DPIs. Only
Emacs 28 explicitly sets a DPI, so Emacs 27 will use whatever is
default for librsvg.

If librsvg changed its default DPI, that would explain why some users get a wrong result depending on their lib version.

I ended up using pixels for font sizes rather than trying to get point sizes to match up. When I DID try to use point sizes, on macOS I had to multiply every size by something like 72/96. That calculation would
vary with OS and GUI toolkit, and possibly monitor size too.

I went down this road too and remember having tested the 72/96 ratio without much success. More specifically, I try to compute the actual screen dpi and adapt the font size but it did not work so well.

Nicolas