Re: elpa - can we force-push branches?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: elpa - can we force-push branches?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:53:19 -0400

Filipp Gunbin [2021-07-30 14:48:19] wrote:
> I'd like to overwrite (change the author email) a commit I made into
> externals/javaimp in elpa, and the question is - can I delete the branch
> and push it again (push -f is forbidden)?

git.sv.gnu.org will let you do that, so technically you can, yes.

> Wouldn't it break something?

Yes, for example elpa.gnu.org will have problems building new tarballs
until I go and fix it by hand [which I currently can't do, but hopefully
this should be fixed in a few days], and similarly my own local checkout
of elpa.git will need some cajoling and presumably other people having
local checkouts of elpa.git will be similarly affected.

So it's strongly recommended not to do it.  But if it's really needed,
e.g. because some commit contains info that really shouldn't be exposed
publicly, it's not the end of the world.

        Stefan