Re: master cfcf42f 2/2: Ensure that gud commands for non-GDB debuggers a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master cfcf42f 2/2: Ensure that gud commands for non-GDB debuggers are handled by repeat-mode
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:26:56 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,  Stefan Monnier
>  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  leungbk@mailfence.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:54:11 +0300
>
> I don't know if these are actionable but they are designated as warnings,
> and displayed with the same compilation-enter-directory-face
> as these unimportant messages:
>
>   Pure-hashed: 16071 strings, 4220 vectors, 41688 conses, 3769 bytecodes, 267
> others

The above might look unimportant to you, but with some wildly
different numbers shown it certainly should be noticed and reported.

> > My personal advice is to read carefully every line displayed by the
> > build process, and not limit yourself to warnings.  Messages that
> > aren't supposed to appear during a normal build should be discovered
> > regardless of whether they are warnings/errors or not.
>
> It's not realistic to read thousands of lines from every compilation.

Nevertheless, that's my advice.  If you are sensitive to unusual
messages during the build, you will catch issues sooner rather than
later.  I hope you and others _will_ notice unusual messages, because
we then can find and react to problems much faster.

> Another problem is that such syntax requires as least a file name
> and a line number that is not always available.  A workaround is
> to display a fake name and number.

Some messages don't have any pertinent file name/line number
information attached to them.  That doesn't mean they are unimportant.