Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 16:36:02 +0300

* Antoine Kalmbach <ane@iki.fi> [2021-07-26 13:59]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>

> > Maybe you think it will support mbox after conversion from Maildir.
> >

> No conversion needed. Rmail uses movemail to move files from your inbox
> to the Rmail file, and if the GNU Mailutils version of it is installed,
> it will use that. The GNU version of movemail supports maildir out of
> the box[0].

So if files are moved from inbox to Rmail file, that means it is Rmail
format, whatever it is, and not Maildir.

I know that movemail supports everything.

That does not make RMAIL use Maildirs.

> What I do beforehand is sync an IMAP folder using offlineimap into a
> local maildir file, which is then read by Rmail using movemail, as
> detailed in the originally linked page.
>
> [0]
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Movemail.html

Sure you can, but that means it is converting Maildir, RMAIL does not
read Maildirs.

Maildirs are supposed to be same, message file names are not much
changed, and email clients are often having internal indexes to such
messages as file names. So if there are conversions it is not Maildir
usage, it is hybrid usage.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns