Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:23:22 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-07-25 16:09]:
> Alternatively, don't GNU Mailutils support Maildir?  If they do, you
> could use their 'movemail' instead of the one that comes with Emacs.

GNU Mailutils support well Maildirs, I guess it is possible to convert
Maildir to Mbox and vice versa by using GNU Mailutils.

For example, emails sent from Emacs I am converting from Mbox type to
Maildir, here is bash function:

function save-maildir-by-to () {
    sieve -f /home/admin/Maildir/Sent.mbox.2020
"/home/data1/protected/Programming/System
Administration/sieve/save-by-to.sieve" && echo Sieve DONE.
}

and here is the sieve script:

/home/data1/protected/Programming/System Administration/sieve/save-by-to.sieve:

require [ "fileinto", "variables" ];
if address :matches [ "to" ] "*" {
  set "recipient" :lower "${1}";
  fileinto "~/Maildir/${recipient}";
            }

I am using `movemail' all the time though more for moving it from IMAP
to local Maildir.

Maildir has benefits over other messaging systems, so converting from
Maildir to Mbox is not an option for Maildir users.

Jean Louis

GNU Support - installations, support, advice, help
https://GNU.Support

GNU Social Network: https://gnusocial.club
GNU Social Network on Pleroma: https://pleroma.gnusocial.club