Re: master e315544: ; * src/fileio.c (Fdirectory_append): Doc fix.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master e315544: ; * src/fileio.c (Fdirectory_append): Doc fix.
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:04:00 +0200

>> FTR, I believe COMPONENTS might also contain nil elements, which should
>> be ignored.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  You want to extend the interface to allow nil
> elements?  I'm not sure that would be very useful?

It's rather a nice to have. Sometimes, I have a list of file name
fragments, and I hope to avoid the checks for being non-empty strings

But I can do this in my code.

>> Furthermore, we have
>>
>> (directory-append "foo/" "/bar") => "foo//bar"
>>
>> I would expect "foo/bar", meaning that all leading slashes in COMPONENTS
>> are removed.
>
> Well, I think that's over into DWIM-land again (which is what
> expand-file-name does, and this function deliberately doesn't do).

expand-file-name and file-name-as-directory are functions which call a
handler, for example Tramp. directory-append is much cheaper, and if it
could do this string handling, I could avoid those functions. It would
be more performant.

Best regards, Michael.