Re: Proposal: ls-lisp.el handle --group-directories-first flag

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Proposal: ls-lisp.el handle --group-directories-first flag
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:54:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:13:09 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > A think to note is that -U will be ignored if --group-directories-first
>> > is passed (so does gls).
>>
>> Hmm... bother: the need to add -U could be a problem, because users
>> don't necessarily want the list to come out unsorted.
>>
>> If adding -U is to fix the order of the directories, then how about
>> using nreverse on the list of directories instead?

True, I don't know why I didn't thought of it :-).

> Btw, in my testing, with ls-lisp-dirs-first bound non-nil, the
> directories are shown in their correct alphabetically sorted order.
> So I'm unsure what problems you saw and in which scenario.  Can you
> tell more about this issue?

Ok, I'll test more.

> (Sorry about my slow responses, and thanks for working on this.)
No rush, it's not like this was something people complain about, and I
have seen all the tree-sitter work going on.

Have you seen the other patch, where flags are sanitized, that would
make ls-lisp accept all the flags as gnu ls, but ignore those it does
not undrstand. Provided that gnu ls does not use same flags as ls-lisp
with different meaning.