Re: How to add pseudo vector types

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: How to add pseudo vector types
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 16:11:09 +0200

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> That leads to another point. I suspect the memory limit will come
> before the speed limit, i.e., as the file size increases, the memory
> consumption will become unacceptable before the speed does. So it is
> possible that we want to outright disable tree-sitter for larger
> files, then we don’t need to do much to improve the responsiveness of
> tree-sitter on large files. And we might want to delete the parse tree
> if a buffer has been idle for a while. Of course, that’s just my
> superstition, we’ll see once we can measure the performance.

Of course those parameters would be configurable on Emacs, but disabling
TS on a 2MB file because it uses 20MB is way too conservative, IMHO.

Nowadays the cheapest netbook comes with at least 1GB RAM and can do
memory-to-memory copies at a rate of GB/s.

Guys, you are speculating too much about minutia and worst-case
scenarios. (Do we really care about TS not supporting files larger than
4GB? I mean, REALLY?)

I'll rather focus on implementing the thing and optimize later. My bet
is that a crude implementation would work fine for the 99% of the users
and be an improvement over what we have now on practically all cases.

BTW, a 10x AST/source-code size ratio is quite reasonable.