Re: Tree Sitter (was Re: cc-mode fontification feels random)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Tree Sitter (was Re: cc-mode fontification feels random)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 09:18:54 -0400

On 7/21/21 21:16, Daniel Colascione wrote:

On 7/21/21 12:15 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
On 7/21/21 12:21, Daniel Colascione wrote:
There is indeed a big literature! I wish there were a bigger literature on *composable* incremental parsers though. IMHO, what we need is an incremental GLR system (yes, GLR is bad worst-case, but it's not a practical concern) that spits out a parse *forest* which we then pare down to a parse tree with ad-hoc syntactic consistency rules. Something like this naturally supports multi-language modes and incorporation of out-of-band semantic information.

Tree sitter handles GLR.

Cool. How does it prune the parse forest?

I'd read the papers it is based on (and the documentation), they'll do a better job than me.

Perry