Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 02:32:14 +0300

> The problem with your original call is not the use of `popup-menu`
> but the fact that it runs it from from a timer.

So when the user wants the context menu to pop up after a delay then

  (push (cons 'context-menu (cdr event)) unread-command-events)

is a less problematic way to do this.  But for another case
to pop up the context menu immediately, customizing
mouse-3-down-context-menu to nil and still using the same
translation functions like mouse--click-3-maybe-context-menu
is not the most optimal way.

To pop up it immediately, I see no better way than currently
is implemented for C-down-mouse-3 because then C-h k C-down-mouse-3
works smoothly as well as Undo selected from the menu keeps undoing
on consequent calls, etc.

This means there is a need to create a new mode that when enabled
will bind the context menu directly to the key down-mouse-3
and unbind mouse-3 from mouse-save-then-kill
when the user wants to pop up it immediately.