Re: Core package offering - engrave-faces.el

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Core package offering - engrave-faces.el
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 17:14:12 -0400

On 7/9/21 1:39 PM, Timothy wrote:
> Unlike htmlize, Engrave Faces provides general functionality to
> transform a buffer into another format with font-lock information.
> This core functionality is currently made us of in
> engrave-faces-latex.el, engrave-faces-ansi.el, and engrave-faces-html.el
> to provide exporters for LaTeX, ASCII/ANSI, and HTML.

Neat! But, I'm not sure I understand what the package actually does. Can you
give a short example of the API and the results it produces?

If I understand correctly, the following may be relevant:

https://github.com/cpitclaudel/esh (I mention it because it supports exporting
overlays to HTML and LaTeX, too, and it uses a tricky algorithm to correctly
handle overlapping fontification)
https://github.com/Lindydancer/faceup
https://github.com/Lindydancer/face-explorer

> For comparison, htmlize.el is 1700 sloc and htmlfontify.el is 2200 sloc.

My experience is that getting faces right is hard, so I'm not sure I'd assume
these thousands of lines are just due to bloat ^^