problems using gnus with nntp server

From: John Covici
Subject: problems using gnus with nntp server
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 21:25:35 -0400

Hi.  I am having problems using gnus with an nntp server.  I can go
into the server and it gives me all the newsgroups in kill status.  If
I hit u it subscribes, and if I then hit enter, it asks me how many
articles and I usually say all.  So, I look at them and go down the
buffer and do gnus-summary-tatch-up-to here, finish reading the group
till all the articles are read and then get out of the buffer with k.

Now, if I try to go back into the server, -- even after exiting gnus
-- it gives me the newsgroup again with the total number of articles
listed, if I go into it it downloads the whole thing again -- not even
marked as read or anything.

It looks like the .newsrc and .newsrc.eld have the articles in there,
so I have no idea what to do.  Am I doing something wrong?

I am using gnus version  5.13  with emacs 27.2-r2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una