Re: On the adoption of transient.el

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: On the adoption of transient.el
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 12:51:43 -0700

On 7/5/2021 9:50 AM, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 21:25, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

Do you have any concrete examples where it could be used?

Every time I do an ‘M-x rgrep’, I am asked three to infinity
questions, in a sequence:

Coincidentally, I've been working on an alternative/enhancement to rgrep that works with (almost) any grep-like program[1], and I've been looking into using transient.el to replace my current implementation of setting search options (I just use `read-from-minibuffer' with a custom keymap that resembles how isearch works).

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some examples of how I might use transient.el to accomplish this. I looked over the documentation for transient.el, and while it seems very thorough, I had a hard time understanding how to do something isearch-like with it. Given sufficient time, I could probably figure it out, but having a smallish example to imitate would be a big help for getting started.

In particular, I want to be able to invoke the `urgrep' command, type a search string, and hit RET to search[2], but also be able to type some key combinations to tweak options (both toggling boolean flags and setting values, e.g. number of lines of context to show).

(Also note: if you're interested in using urgrep, feel free, but there's a reason it hasn't been added to a package archive yet. I'm still changing lots of things around, so I make no promises about backwards compatibility for the time being.)

- Jim

[1] https://github.com/jimporter/urgrep
[2] 90% of the time, I just want to search for a string, so I'm optimizing for that case.