Re: Build failure in nsterm.m

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Build failure in nsterm.m
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 19:41:27 +0100

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:38:16AM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
> > I've pushed a fix. I think this is a shorthand way of writing an ObjC
> > array that GCC doesn't understand.
>
> It's fixed now.

Thanks!

> > I'm using a version of GNUstep built from git and I can no longer
> > build Emacs with GCC at all,
>
> In which sense does it fail?

configure fails to find GNUstep requirements. There's a script to
source which sets up the environment for GNUstep builds, but it makes
no difference. The only thing that allows it to continue is to use
"CC=clang".

I imagine it's my build environment, but I followed the GNUstep
instructions from their wiki and I can't work out how to get it to
work.

I should probably ask them.

> > only clang, so these sorts of things slip
> > through quite easily.
> >
> > I'm not sure why GCC doesn't work, I'm sure it's not the Emacs code
> > that's at fault, so I have to assume that the GNUstep devs have given
> > up waiting for GCC to catch up.
>
> Maybe we should drop a note about this somewhere.

I'd rather be sure it's not just me being useless before making any
official notice.
--
Alan Third