Re: About SASL authentication in rcirc

From: amk
Subject: Re: About SASL authentication in rcirc
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:46:01 +0000

June 28, 2021 11:36 AM, "Tassilo Horn" <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for bringing SASL authentication to rcirc. I'm using the
> rcirc-update branch of Philip for my IRC needs where Philip has
> cherry-picked your commit implementing SASL authentication for rcirc.
> So obviously I wanted to try that out and changed my

> (setq rcirc-authinfo
> `(("libera" nickserv "tsdh" ,th/nickserv-password-liberachat)))

> (setq rcirc-authinfo
> `(("libera" sasl "tsdh" ,th/nickserv-password-liberachat)))
>
> and restarted my rcirc session after rebuilding emacs.
>
> After that, the *irc.libera.chat* buffer contained a message that tsdh
> is a registered nick but not the message afterwards that I'm
> successfully registered now (as it is the case with nickserv
> authentication). And when querying NickServ, it told me that I'm not
> logged it.
>
> If I understand SASL/IRC correctly, it should have logged in immediately
> on connecting, right?
>
> So apparently, it seems that it didn't work when I've tried. I'd be
> happy to debug where it fails if you give me some pointers what to look
> for.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Hey,

Correct, It should authenticate automatically

I think the issue is that some of the original sasl commit got lost in
cherry picking. I've attached a patch that fixes it, I'm not sure if
there is a better place to send a patch to a branch.

With this patch rcirc now checks that sasl authentication has completed
before running CAP END as specified here
https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/sasl-3.1

Thanks,
Alex