Re: Remote process execution

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Remote process execution
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:01:50 +0200

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@fastmail.net> writes:

Hi Aidan,

> I am trying to modify a third-party package to work over TRAMP, and I
> am stuck on `call-process-region'.  I seem to be able to use
> `process-file' as a drop-in replacement for `call-process', but there
> does not appear to be any substitute for `call-process-region'.  I did
> find `tramp-call-process-region' (and `tramp-call-process'), but these
> functions seem to be redundant, since they just call the process on
> the local host, which is what the non-tramp versions of these
> functions do already.

Like call-process, call-process-region does not support remote
directories. As you say, there is process-file, which does this with the
same arguments as call-process.

tramp-call-process and tramp-call-process-region are internal
functions. Their docstrings say clearly, that they are based on
call-process and call-process-region, respectively.

> Can anyone offer advice on modifying code that uses
> `call-process-region' to handle remote-command-execution in TRAMP
> buffers?

What you are looking for is an implementation for
process-file-region. That does not exist (yet?), AFAIK.

> Regards,
> Aidan Gauland

Best regards, Michael.