Re: Leaving Freenode behind

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Leaving Freenode behind
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 23:43:12 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> [2021-06-22 08:15]:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I do have to correct one detail.  Libera is a company, so the term
> > "community-run" might be misleading.
>
> This is incorrect, as far as I can tell.
>
> Libera is, according to themselves: "a Swedish nonprofit organisation
> with organisation number 802535-6448, feel free to read our
> bylaws".[1]
>
> Looking up the Swedish organization LIBERA CHAT registered with that
> number, it is an "ideell förening" (roughly: "volunteer driven
> association", or "non-profit" in English), which is most definitely
> not a company.  It is subject to all the normal regulations you would
> expect for a non-profit: no one can "own" or "sell" it, it is
> controlled by its annual general meeting, etc.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] https://libera.chat/about

When speaking of Swedish companies, have registered quite a few of
such for our clients. They are all registered with Bolagsverket.se.

What you wish to say is that it is a non-profit type of an entity.
You mix the general term "company" to be only the company with
shareholders or members with shares.

In many countries "company" is used for any kind of type of the
entity, including for a partnership, including for non-incorporated
associations and so on. So it is in Sweden. In fact, when you wish to
search for a any type of a company you are offered label that includes
the word "company".

Even if a non-profit is named "non-profit" the only difference is that
profits are not distributed as dividends to shareholders. Non-profit
though can pay very high salaries to its board, employees and hire
outside companies where money may go. Everything else if anything
remains, is used for re-investing into non-profit purposes.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman