Re: adding Lakota keyboard layouts

From: Grant Shoshin Shangreaux
Subject: Re: adding Lakota keyboard layouts
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:31:21 -0500

Robert Pluim writes:

> Youʼre missing a ChangeLog and a NEWS entry. See commit 229c51afbf for
> an example

Thank you for the review! I finally had a chance to sit down with this
again and I'm attaching an updated patch that also includes one input
mode added to the latin-prefix file.

I added the NEWS entry, but I apologize, I wasn't able to determine
which ChangeLog I should be adding to. I tried to format my commit
message as documented in the CONTRIBUTE file.

> Two spaces after '.', here and below

Good to know the docstrings still follow two spaces after a period, I
believe I've got them all sorted now

> I guess these combine if you use the ? notation, which looks
> terrible. Perhaps a comment to that effect?

I added a comment, I'd be glad to know if there was a better way to
insert these combining character literals. This proved to be the best
way I could come up with to keep the input mode simple.

> Also, in the lakota-slo-postfix, you produce eg á, whereas this
> method produces ȧ. Are they intended to represent the same sound? If
> so, could it be confusing to have them represented differently?

The White Hat orthography doesn't add diacritics to vowels. I added a
table in the docstring to show the intended use of the combining marks
for the consonants. I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

- Grant