Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:59:19 +0200

>> at 11:59 I was disconnected from libera.chat.  In the server buffer I
>> have
>>
>>   10:59 *** tsdh QUIT Ping timeout: 264 seconds
>>
>> and in channels, there is
>>
>>   0:59 !!! irc.libera.chat: connection broken by remote peer (closed)
>>
>> Usually, if that happened I'd just `M-x rcirc RET' again, and it would
>> re-connect to all servers in `rcirc-server-alist' which are not
>> connected anymore.
>
> If you were to use /reconnect would that change anything? That is what I
> tested, and I hope worked. But your method should continue working.

Not sure.  In the current state it just says "Server buffer is alive"
which is true.

>> Well, it still does that, i.e., I'm connected to irc.libera.chat
>> again in *irc.libera.chat* but all channel buffers of that network
>> show "(rcirc:disconnected)" in the mode-line and don't seem to
>> receive any messages anymore.
>
> I did encounter something similar, the issue was that
> rcirc-buffer-alist was nil'ed unintentionally. What is the value of
> rcirc-buffer-alist in the server buffer before and after reconnecting?

It still knows about the buffers:

(("##rust" . #<buffer ##rust@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#git" . #<buffer #git@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#archlinux" . #<buffer #archlinux@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#fsf-members" . #<buffer #fsf-members@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#fsf" . #<buffer #fsf@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#gnu" . #<buffer #gnu@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#gnus" . #<buffer #gnus@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#rcirc" . #<buffer #rcirc@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#emacs-beginners" . #<buffer #emacs-beginners@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#emacs" . #<buffer #emacs@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#sway" . #<buffer #sway@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#sr.ht" . #<buffer #sr.ht@irc.libera.chat>))
Local in buffer *irc.libera.chat*; global value is nil

I'm now restarting emacs.  The next time I get a disconnect, I'll try
/reconnect instead.

Bye,
Tassilo