Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 11:29:07 -0400

>   > We can use hacks like this one, indeed, but it's not in fashion
>   > nowadays.
> We have to choose between imperfect options.  We can't afford to
> let fashion dictate our choice.

Oh boy, I see my use of the term "fashion" has really tipped
people's sensitivities.

All I meant is that given the increase of performance of CPUs (until the
beginning of this century) and a non-corresponding increase in file size
and complexity of language syntax, programmers nowadays prefer correct
behavior over fast behavior, since the correct behavior is fast enough
anyway to be bearable.

Given the lack of improvement in CPU performance over the last decade,
this may well change again, of course, but so far I haven't seen people
shy away from Python and IDEs, so I expect this won't happen in the
near future.

        Stefan