Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS

From: naofumi
Subject: Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 18:52:44 +0200

On Sunday, June 06, 2021 14:19 CEST, "Paul W. Rankin" <pwr@bydasein.com> wrote:

> > On 6 Jun 2021, at 9:36 pm, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 07:07:53PM +0900, Naofumi Yasufuku wrote:
> >>
> >> I found the following issues with this macOS native tab commit.
> >> Does anyone else encounter the same problems?
> >>
> >> 1) Frame height increases (even if frame-inhibit-implied-resize is t).
> >
> > Strangely I don't see this. The frame stays the same height...
>
> Alan did you see my video of this in action?
> https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/pwr-share/emacs_nsterm.mov
>

> >> 2) New tab name is ‘emacs’ instead of buffer name.
> >>    (even if C-x 5 C-f `find-file-other-frame’)
> >
> > It turns out that when multiple NSViews are put into one NSWindow
> > using tabs, AppKit doesn't bother telling all the views to update
> > themselves when the window changes, it appears to only message the
> > currently visible one. This is a problem.
> >
> > The tab name issue can be sorted with this change:
>
> Interestingly this only happens with tool-bar-mode on. With eamcs -Q
> (tool-bar-mode 0) new frames/tabs get the correct name. Which makes me wonder
> if it's another case of some code somewhere interfering?

I also comfirmed the same behavior.
The frame stays the same height and tabs has its buffer name propery
if (tool-bar-mode 0).

On Sunday, June 06, 2021 13:36 CEST, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:

> > 3) Tabs are not shown in fullscreen.
> >     03_macOS-tab-fullscreen-expected-textedit.gif. .. e.g. macOS Test Edit
> > app
> >     03_macOS-tab-issue-fullscreen-emacs.gif
>
> Works as expected here. Since the window chrome isn't shown in
> fullscreen mode, the tab bar isn't shown.

On Sunday, June 06, 2021 14:19 CEST, "Paul W. Rankin" <pwr@bydasein.com> wrote:

> Yeah we're considering this a separate nice-to-have, right?

I found the discussions about fullscreen tab & toolbar display
held last month.  I think macOS native tab is not so bad, however...
I use tab-bar-mode (or elscreen previously) for switching workspaces,
so the original fullscreen frame behavior is preferable for me personally:

  a) macOS-fullscreen-before-native-tab.gif
      C-x 5 b / f => opens the frame on new fullscreen desktop.

  b) macOS-fullscreen-after-native-tab.gif
      C-x 5 b / f => opens non-fullscreen frame even if
                     system preference is 'Prefer tabs: never' ...

  cf. Google Chrome fullscreen:
      macOS-GoogleChrome-fullscreen.gif

After this nsterm.m change for native tabs, I cannot realize the previous
fullscreen frame behavior with macOS system preference 'Prefer tabs' settings.

I think this native tabs feature should be choosable by user, as Alan said:

On Thu, 13 May 2021 22:05:00 +0100, Alan Third wrote:

> As I said, I suspect this change could be contentious, so we may want
> to provide a variable to enable or disable it.

Regards,
--Naofumi

GIF image

GIF image