Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:53:14 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 23:25:41 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 04.06.2021 18:54, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Whether a type is recognised as such depends on that, yes.  It's hard to
> > think of a better way without having the resources of a compiler,
> > particularly for ill-behaved languages like C+

> Would it work much worse if you took the approach of not applying the
> highlighting when you frequently cannot be sure of what the type of the
> term is?

Cases of "not being sure" are common indeed.  The whole of CC Mode is
based on heuristics.

> That would mean none of the types in brackets would be highlighted in
> the original example, but perhaps that is still better than the current
> result?

That would mean adding complicated decision functions for "not being
sure".  If the fontification of types where they are used (as opposed to
being declared) were to become less common, people would notice and
complain too.

There's the idea I proposed in my post to Daniel C of today - when a
type is newly recognised, then go through the buffer fontifying
occurrences of it.  That would probably help a lot, possibly at the cost
of slowing the mode down a bit.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).