Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 20:29:45 +0300

> Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 19:51:28 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:19:40 +0000
> > From: Max Mikhanosha <max.mikhanosha@protonmail.com>
> >
> > Both XTerm and MinTTY, when configured to send meta modifier as 8th bit
> > while in utf-8 mode, will first add 8th bit, and then encode resulting
> > character with utf-8. For example Meta-X is encoded as ?x+120 = #248
> > codepoint, encoded as 0xc3,0xb8
>
> If these terminal emulators send M-x as 248 decimal, then how do they
> send the Latin character ΓΈ, whose codepoint is 248 decimal?

And btw, why do you use MetaSendEscape:false with these emulators?  It
sounds like if you set MetaSendEscape:true, your problems will be
solved, no?  FWIW, this is how I use terminal emulators here, for many
years, including with non-ASCII input (and of course Meta-characters),
and I have yet to see a single problem.