Re: What is restore_window_configuration in read_minibuf (minibuf.c) for

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What is restore_window_configuration in read_minibuf (minibuf.c) for?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:31:22 -0400

> The impression I get is that the restore_window_configuration is a user
> facility, and we can't just remove it, much though I'd like to.

Indeed.  I think we should remove it, but for that we need to replace it
with something that does the part we want to keep (e.g. making sure
that the buffer from which the minibuffer was "called" is
selected&visible again).

> So what seems needed is an extra &optional parameter to
> set-window-configuration, DONT-SET-MINIWINDOW which would inhibit the
> restoration of the mini-window.  The call from unwinding a minibuffer
> would pass a non-nil value for this argument.  Messy, but I haven't got
> any better ideas.
> What do you think?

Maybe the restoration of some previous minibuffer is OK (e.g. when you
use `M-x` from within `M-:` you do want the outer minibuffer to be
restored when you leave the inner one), and you just need to adjust it
after the fact in the rare cases where it results in an undesirable
state (e.g. if that minibuffer was already displayed elsewhere).

        Stefan