Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 20:51:18 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:29:40 -0500
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > My problem is that this change makes header-line different from
> > mode-line, which I think is undesirable.
>
> Oh, okay.  Yes, that would be the drawback.

Which is why I prefer that we change the mode-line face (if we thing
using variable-pitch there is a good move), and leave header-line
inheriting from mode-line as before.  Then (a) mode line and header
line will look the same by default, and (b) if someone wants a
different face for both, they just need to change a single face, not 2
of them.