Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 20:16:29 +0300

On 11.04.2021 16:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I don't think the distinction matters here.  We are discussing if
candidates should be shown eagerly, and my answer is "yes".
Are you using an alternative completion framework? I find it interesting
how some people agree with the distinction and others don't, and wonder
if the way they use Emacs shapes their opinion.
My theory is that some people prefer the selection-type of completion,
and others (like me) don't.  I don't see a reason to try to settle the
difference, it's a matter of personal preferences and past experience.

I agree we should be able to keep both kinds of completion and let the users choose they generally prefer, that's why I made emphasis on which usages really *can't* employ the wrong kind of completion (and thus would generally follow the programmer's hint and not the user customization).

I do think it's unfortunate you're adamant about using only one of these approaches, because we're missing out on valuable feedback and recommendations this way (and maybe some strategic support), but it's not a blocker of any kind, for this or related issues.

When I think back, though, and recall that you also agreed that more "IDE features" are important to have in Emacs, I believe that at some point in the future, as we're making progress on that path, some defaults will need to change, because AFAIK the vast majority of current "IDE" users are used to the selection-type completion, and so one is pretty strongly associated with the other. Again, not necessarily, but it would make sense.