Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 14:11:59 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 05:56:39 -0500
> Cc: philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, dgutov@yandex.ru
>
> > Right away, i.e. even without the user typing anything? that'd produce
> > a huge list of candidates, which would be impractical to display.
>
> This is what e.g. ivy does on M-x, and it works well in practice.
>
> I find it much better to display candidates this way, and I think it
> would be a step forward if Emacs dit this itself OOTB.

For me, it would be a step back.  I never use completion for
discovery, I always have a pretty good idea what I'm about to type
when I do.

> (It's also a popular choice elsewhere, try for example entering
> something into the search bar on Google or DuckDuckGo.  The same
> paradigm you see there is used in a lot of desktop software.)

Those are for selection, not for completion.  I thought we'd already
established that the two are quite different.  We should not conflate
them, nor force users use only one of them where both could make
sense, IMO.