Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 05:56:39 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  philipk@posteo.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 19:48:25 -0400
>>
>> I think it would be desirable to change the default UI just enough so
>> that a code like Xref can make `completing-read` display the
>> completions eagerly.
>
> Right away, i.e. even without the user typing anything? that'd produce
> a huge list of candidates, which would be impractical to display.

This is what e.g. ivy does on M-x, and it works well in practice.

I find it much better to display candidates this way, and I think it
would be a step forward if Emacs dit this itself OOTB.

(It's also a popular choice elsewhere, try for example entering
something into the search bar on Google or DuckDuckGo.  The same
paradigm you see there is used in a lot of desktop software.)