Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:36:53 +0000

The issue is whether we need to change the direction as a side effect of isearch-beginning-of-buffer. From my POV, this is unexpected. The direction should stay what it was before.

Yes, I understand the issue, but disagree that it is unexpected. Just try it, replace:

(isearch-repeat 'forward arg)))

by:

(isearch-repeat (if isearch-forward 'forward 'backward) arg)))

in isearch-beginning-of-buffer, type C-r isearch M-s M-<, and you'll see that on the contrary not changing the direction is unexpected, that behavior can only be considered as a bug.

Why do you consider that behavior a bug? If the user wants to change the direction, he/she can do that any time.

Did you actually try it? With the code above, in the center of isearch.el, this is what is happening:

C-s isearch : you are searching forward
M-s M-> : you want to see the last occurrence (which corresponds to your search direction
: forward), yet it says "Failing I-search"
M-s M-> : you are now on the first line of isearch.el
M-s M-> : "Failing wrapped I-search"

C-r isearch : you are searching backward
M-s M-< : you want to see the first occurrence (which corresponds to your search
direction : backward), yet it says "Failing I-search backward"
M-s M-< : you are now on the last line of isearch.el
M-s M-< : "Failing wrapped I-search backward"

How on earth could such a behavior be considered a feature?