Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 13:26:09 +0000

I don't understand what the point is here.

The issue is whether we need to change the direction as a side effect of isearch-beginning-of-buffer. From my POV, this is unexpected. The direction should stay what it was before.

Yes, I understand the issue, but disagree that it is unexpected. Just try it, replace:

(isearch-repeat 'forward arg)))

by:

(isearch-repeat (if isearch-forward 'forward 'backward) arg)))

in isearch-beginning-of-buffer, type C-r isearch M-s M-<, and you'll see that on the contrary not changing the direction is unexpected, that behavior can only be considered as a bug.

If you do not change the search direction after moving to BOB, the result is not what you would expect. For example, after C-r:

- with isearch-wrap-pause t, M-< tells you "failing I-search backward" even if there are in fact occurrences of the search string between point and BOB, and a second M-< will jump to the last occurrence in the buffer;

- with isearch-wrap-pause 'no, M-< jumps immediate to the last occurrence in the buffer.

Why do you think this is not what the user will expect?

Because this is not what M-< = beginning-of-buffer does, and this is also not what the docstring of isearch-beginning-of-buffer says: "Go to the first occurrence of the current search string. Move point to the beginning of the buffer and search forwards from the top."