Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 11:59:55 +0200

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 02:41:04PM +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 09:10, Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:
>
> > Yup.  Have a look at the attached quick mock-up of how things could look
> > if we would use Material icons for the tool-bar as an example.
>
> The proper way to achieve that look is to design a GTK icon theme with
> those icons, then install and activate it in your environment. It’s
> not a good idea to override GTK icons with application-bundled icons,
> it leads to inconsistency over the desktop.

This is actually a conflict being sorted out currently (although
many participants therein don't even know they've been coopted to
that).

Oversimplifying a fair bit, it reduces to whether the application
or the sysadmin (aka "operating system in a very broad sense") is
boss.

A conflict perhaps nearly as old as computing is, but with the
upcoming of  huge mammoths facing operating systems they don't
control, the push is now in the direction of "application is boss"
(it isn't a coincidence that Google Chrome wants to do client-side
decorations: "I'm the operating system, deal with it"; it's not
invited to my computer for that reason ;-)

Cheers
 - t