Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 23:05:18 +0300

>> Surely it should search forward after moving to window-end. But the
>> question is: when the search direction was backward initially before
>> calling scroll-up-command, should it keep the same backward direction, or
>> should it change the direction to forward (since internally it used the
>> forward search after moving to window-end).
>
> Do I understand correctly that your remark is about the internal variable
> 'isearch-forward', and whether its value should change when using "fast
> forward/backward" searches?  If so, would that make a difference in
> practice?  IIUC it is changed by isearch-beginning-of-buffer and
> isearch-end-of-buffer.

isearch-beginning-of-buffer changes the direction to 'forward'
because it makes no sense to keep it 'backward' - there are no matches
before the first match.

But I agree that when the user called scroll-up-command
then it makes more sense to change the direction to 'forward'
to be able to navigate the matches forward from the top of the next screen
(as opposed to keeping the backward direction to be able to quickly