Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 03:48:57 +0300

On 08.04.2021 01:59, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

What I was disagreeing in the previous message, is whether it's worth
to create a semantic distinction between completing-read and
selecting-read. How would a Lisp author choose between the two? The
former should actually be more powerful (it will retain support for
TAB completion, and yet it could still be supported by selection-style
frameworks such as Company or Ivy);

completing-read can be more powerful, as it includes expanding text and
selecting items, but I if you are not interested in text-expansion you
should probably limit yourself to selection,

Am "I" in this example the user, or the author of the caller code?

>  so that everyone is ensured
> to have the same presentation.

If that's the goal, why don't we make sure to include a "selection" interface that supports text-expansion as well, like both Company and Ivy do?

What's the purpose of having that distinction?

the latter, on the other hand, would effectively mandate a minimum
"niceness" of the UI (though not necessarily nicer than the former,
depending on user customization), but would be unable to support more
advanced completion tables. Such as ones with "fields" (which includes
file name completion).

What do you mean by "niceness",

Niceness is subjective, hence the quotes, but we can probably agree that the UIs that do selection usually look fancier than the ones than don't. Or at least that's what I meant.

> and why would it not be able to support
> more complex tables?

If it can, that goes back to my question of why have the distinction.

If it allow selection UIs to not guarantee support for certain completion tables, I suppose that would allow people to create some specialized single-purpose UIs (perhaps mouse-driven?). Not sure if it's worth it, though.