Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:23:08 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07 2021, Gregory Heytings wrote:
> I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I understand what the real
> difference between "completing" and "selecting" is.  Do I understand
> correctly that the difference is between, for example, expanding command names
> (completing), and choosing an emoji in a list (selecting)?

Yeah, I don't get it either. If I'm completing a command name, I can also say
that I'm selecting a command name from all available command names. Or when I'm
completing a file name, I'm selecting a file from all the files on my system.

In fact, I always considered that to be the whole point of "modern" completion
mechanisms: they turn completion (traditionally: start typing *from the
beginning* of the name of the candidate you are after, occasionally hitting TAB
to complete unambiguous subparts) into selection (typing *any* characters in the
name of the candidate you want to select, augmented by motion keys to move
through the list of candidates).

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments