Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 00:44:19 +0000

1) Are there any option to move the cursor to the start of the candidate after the search? I see that there is an isearch-other-end. But it is not a custom but an internal variable. Now I am using a hook but it seems a bit hacky.

As you see from the discussion, adding a defcustom makes little sense, because this feature might be needed only occasionally, so better to be bound to a special key, e.g. C-RET to exit and move to other-end, S-RET to exit and mark the found string as a region.

Note that neither C-RET nor S-RET are available in a terminal.

What I consider to be the most useful feature of CTRLF, namely the possibility to scroll among the matches, has not much been discussed so far, alas. I attach a short patch which implements that feature in isearch. I've been using it for a day, and I'm convinced it's a must-have, it makes navigating among the search matches much faster. WDYT?

Sorry, there was a typo in the previous patch, I attach a corrected one.