Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:52:35 +0100

>> Swiper provides this option and after trying it I found it very
>> useful and some other users seems they do too.
>
> I strongly suspect that swiper does not provide *exactly* that option.
> E.g. does Swiper's option also cause C-r foo RET to place point at the *end*
> of "foo" rather than its beginning?

Just for completeness:

The original swiper and swiper-backward commands either always leave
point at the end of the match (by default), or always at the start
(after customising swiper-goto-start-of-match), regardless of direction.

Later came swiper-isearch and swiper-isearch-backward, for handling
multiple matches per line.  AFAICT the former always leaves point at the
end, and the latter always at the start.

AFAIK neither of these interfaces was originally designed with a way of
customising where to leave point in mind; it was an afterthought, and
naturally there are open bug reports about their behaviour.

--
Basil