Re: Getting magic numbers 134217734 etc in a repetable keymap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting magic numbers 134217734 etc in a repetable keymap
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 16:14:11 +0300

> From: Ramesh Nedunchezian <rameshnedunchezian@outlook.com>
> Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 17:28:12 +0530
>
> > Display the "magic" numbers in hex, and I think you will see the way
> > clearly.
>
> I am dumb.  I unable to take your hint.  Can I have a full
> recipe.

Maybe I don't understand what kind of recipe you are looking for.

I thought you were asking how to synthesize those "magic numbers"
given the key description such as "C-M-f".  That is what I tried to
explain: if you display the number 134217734 in hex you will see
#x8000006, which is C-f (ASCII 6) with the Meta bit ORed.

> Getting the magic value of C-M-f is not an issue.
>
> But, getting the magic number _verbatim_ in to the _repeat-map__ is
> the issue.  Note the emphasis on words "verbatim" and "repeat-map".

I'm dumb, I don't think I see the difference.

> i.e., I want a recipe which will create this keymap
>
>   '(keymap
>         (134217734 . forward-sexp)
>         ;; (102 . forward-sexp)
>         )
>
> instead of the
>
>   (keymap
>    (27 keymap
>        (6 . forward-sexp)))
>
> i.e. The problem with `define-key' is that it is converting C-M-f in
> to ESC C-f and this 2-level keymap I DO NOT want.  The two level
> keymap gets in the way of setting up a repeatable keymap which will
> help me do C-M-f f f f f etc.

I think I explained exactly what you want: how to get the numerical
value corresponding to C-M-f and any other key that includes modifiers.

If that still doesn't help you, then I'm sorry; someone else will have
to do better.