Re: slow X11 frame creation and refresh after occlusion

From: Greg Klanderman
Subject: Re: slow X11 frame creation and refresh after occlusion
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 17:21:57 -0500

>>> Which X server are you using? I don?t see this at all (but admittedly
>>> the two machines in question are a meter apart)

Greg> I will check if I see the issue using the default desktop environment
Greg> (I think cinnamon is standard on the work laptop).. and get back to
Greg> you on that as well.

Hmmm, well I just checked with the standard gdm3 / Xorg server /
cinnamon DE environment and emacs works perfectly.. creating a new
frame is still a little slow, but nothing like I was seeing, and
dragging frames of the same emacs over each other does not even result
in any perceptible redisplay latency.  I really don't have any idea
what an application like emacs would "see" differently without a
DE... any ideas how to figure out what's going on?

thanks,
Greg