Re: master 2644353: * .gitignore: add src/fingerprint.c

From: Robin Tarsiger
Subject: Re: master 2644353: * .gitignore: add src/fingerprint.c
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 07:56:19 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I don't think it'll help: I made the same mistake in the past as have
> several others, then we learned, now you're learning as well but next
> time around there'll be inevitably someone else who hasn't learned
> it yet.

I would suggest that when a file transitions from generated to
source, it gains a negated entry in a section at the end of .gitignore
which is commented to this effect. That way, someone editing the file
at the end will see the negation section and be reminded to
slow down and check it, and someone editing an earlier section will
find that the effect is canceled out and be encouraged to pause and
look around for why.

(These can be pruned after some time if the section becomes large,
of course.)

-RTT