Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 19:56:34 +0200

On 10.01.2021 18:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I tend to think that conceptually each buffer should point to its
corresponding tags table.

What about buffers that don't belong to any project?  M-. generally
works (or should work) in any buffer.

That's a different workflow, one that we support already.

I don't know how to automate it better. If the buffer doesn't belong to any project, which tags table would we use for it? We'll have to prompt the user, and that's what we do already by default.

Some kind of automation could be made if, instead of using project-current straight away, etags-regen could add some defcustom/hooks/etc which could return some value that implements a generalized notion of a project for etags-regen's specific purpose, with file list, the "where to put TAGS" directory and inclusion logic. Which we would then use.

I don't know how many users would go to all that trouble, however, when they could just go on with using 'M-x visit-tags-table'.