Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 01:41:42 -0800

Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

>> Does installing from a binary distro (as opposed to from sources built
>> locally) remove previous versions nowadays?
>>

> Yes, at least for Debian and Debian derived distributions.  Up to and
> including Emacs 25 it was possible to install more than one Emacs, the
> packages names were different for each version (emacs21, ..., emacs25).
> Debian doesn't do this anymore, the package is now just "emacs".  I don't
> know why they changed their policy.

Debian dropped their numbered packages to avoid bug reports for very old
versions of Emacs, see e.g.:

    "plans to finally drop our emacsXY binary packages, and just have a
    single version of Emacs in the archive, so that we no longer have to
    deal with bugs due to someone still having emacs21 installed
    (David’s idea; Rob’s implementation; Sean’s mostly-helpful
    comments)"

    https://spwhitton.name/blog/entry/debconf17_reports/